New Compliance Requirement For Controlled Substance Providers
We are offering courses at MCDC to help you fulfill the requirement!
Background: Sec. 1263 of the spending bill Congress passed in December 2022 requires controlled substance prescribers to complete 8 hours of one-time training on safe controlled substance prescribing as a condition of receiving or renewing a DEA registration. The statutory language was taken from a separate bill, called the Medication Access and Training Expansion Act (or MATE Act).
The requirement applies to all DEA registration submissions (Schedules II, III, IV, and V)—regardless of whether it is an initial registration or a renewal registration—beginning on or after June 27, 2023.
At the time of your next scheduled DEA registration submission (but not before June 27, 2023), registrants must:
- Have completed eight total hours of qualified training on safe controlled substance prescribing, with certificates of completion.
- Course training must cover some aspect of the safe pharmacological management of dental pain and screening, brief intervention, and referral for appropriate treatment of patients with or at risk of developing opioid and other substance use disorders.
- Check a box on their registration submission affirming they have completed the training.
- Retain copies of all certificates of completion.
Past trainings from designated training organizations can count towards a practitioner meeting this requirement. In other words, if you received an eligible training prior to the enactment of this new requirement on December 29, 2022—that training counts towards the eight-hour requirement. Note that the law permits relevant dental school coursework to count toward the training requirement for those who are less than five years out of dental school.
More Information based on details currently available may be found in this ADA FAQ (updated April 10, 2023)
Courses for to help you meet the training requirement:
2023 Mid-Continent Dental Congress
- Dr. Lon McRae to present lectures with topics related to the new guidelines. Courses will be available both days at the Mid-Continent Dental Congress. Course descriptions and more information are viewable on mcdcstl.org
- Be sure to save the dates now so that you can take advantage of your complimentary MCDC registration as a GSLDS member.
Mid-Continent Dental Congress | Thursday & Friday, October 26 & 27, 2023 | St. Louis Union Station
Registration open! Fees increase September 29
The ADA offers eight (8) one-hour webinars that include CE credit. All the courses are free for ADA members.
View the list of webinar links here