— The American Dental Association is reaffirming its support for legislation aimed at regulating vaping devices and liquids in the same manner the Food and Drug Administration regulates cigarettes and other tobacco products.
In a Nov. 18 letter to the House Energy and Commerce Committee
, the ADA urged the legislators to favorably consider HR 2339, the Reversing the Youth Tobacco Epidemic Act of 2019.
If enacted, this bill would:
• Require FDA to implement the graphic health warnings for cigarette packages (which includes an oral cancer image) within 12 months.
• Extend the federal tobacco advertising and sales requirements to vaping devices and other types of nicotine products.
• Regulate vaping devices and other products covered by the Tobacco Control Act in the same manner as cigarettes and smokeless tobacco.
• Raise the minimum age for purchasing nontobacco nicotine products to 21.
• Prohibit non-face-to-face sales of all tobacco products, including e-cigarettes and e-cigarette accessories.
• Prohibit all characterizing flavors of tobacco products, including menthol.