Paving the Way to a Caries Free Practice Hands-on Workshop
Supported, in part, by GC America and Elevate Oral Care
8:30 AM - 11:30 AM | 3 CDE
Educational Method: Participation
Recommended for: Dentists, Hygienists
Participants bring: Safety glasses and extracted tooth with DECAY
Fee: $25 | $30 after Oct. 17
Event Code: F14
- Identify the need for implementing a caries risk assessment for all patients in a practice.
- Differentiate the stages of active carious lesion/identify when remineralization therapy or surgical treatment is indicated.
- Compare products engineered to deliver “calcium and phosphate” and how they interact to improve fluoride uptake.
- Review all the fluoride varnish options available.
- Learn mechanism of action/benefits of silver diamine fluoride (SDF).
- Review protocols and techniques for SDF placement and actually place SDF in an extracted tooth.
This program focuses on the innovations and advancements in remineralization products and technologies that will influence the delivery of care we provide to our patients tomorrow. We will focus on fluoride in OTC’s, in-office varnishes and silver diamine.
Something to Chew On - The Effects of Aging on Oral Health
Supported, in part, by Water Pik and Sunstar Butler
1:00 PM - 4:30 PM | 3 CDE
Educational Method: Lecture
Subject: Hygiene/Aging Oral Health
Recommended for: Dentists, Hygienists, Assistants
Fee: $10 | $20 after Oct. 17
Event Code: F21
- Identify the difference between hyposalivation and xerostomia.
- Look at why we get it and how to treat it. Test your own saliva.
- Recognize changes intraorally (attrition, wear, erosion…)
- Consider the need for SDF with this population.
- Evaluate in-office and home aides for patients’ home care protocol. Including fluoride varnish, and more advanced toothpastes and gels.
Food impactions, expanding restorations, temperature sensitivity, xerostomia, grinding, and erosion are just a few of the many issues patients will face as they grow older. This course looks at the contributing factors that will be affecting our aging patients and provides an opportunity to discuss their personal, and our professional, dilemmas. We will chew on the facts and spit out potential solutions that will help us all age tastefully.
Born and raised in a dental office with more than 45 years of experience in dentistry, Judy Bendit, RDH, is a speaker, author and clinician. She is on the faculty at Temple University School of Dentistry, alumni board member at The University of Pennsylvania Dental School, president of the University of Pennsylvania Dental Hygiene Alumni and advisory board member at Palm Beach State College. She is a member of the CAMBRA Coalition, American Academy of Cariology, American Academy of Pediatrics - Section on Oral Health, longstanding member of the American Dental Hygiene Association and Distinguished Academy member of the Pennsylvania Dental Hygiene Association. Financial Relationship - Consultant: 25+ companies; Honorarium: Elevate, Sunstar, GC, Waterpik